Back-to-school: what are the major brands (food and non-food)?
Marketing Consultant 10th September 2019
Every year, back-to-school topics are increasing in September. Many brands are using this key moment to highlight their products in-store and thus regain shoppers’ minds after their holidays.
We investigated on school supplies brands in the back-to-school zone but also on all other brands that have operated in the central aisle at the end of August. Our study was conducted in 200 hypermarkets all over France.
SCHOOL SUPPLIES: THE SYMBOL OF THE BACK-TO-SCHOOL SEASON
If school supplies are a back-to-school symbol, the key moment in-store starts at the beginning of summer. Indeed, we found out that school supplies brands are more present during July than August with a 17% decrease regarding the amount of displays.
As last year, BIC remains the most present brand with displays in 90% of visited stores and many “BIC buses” settled. Stabilo takes the second position with displays in 78% of POS. UHU, second last year, completes the third position for this 2019 podium with displays in 75% of visited stores.
Top 3 of the most present brands in the back-to-school promotional zone:
SWEET GROCERY: THE OTHER MAJOR CATEGORY OF THE BACK-TO-SCHOOL SEASON
For this study, we have asked our consumers about the most expected brands on promotions (excluding school supplies). Sweet grocery was the category most mentioned, especially the brands LU and Nutella. No surprise, these brands were the most visible in the central aisle with massive displays around back-to-school theme:
1) Ferrero was spotted in 26% of the POS as one of the 2 most visible displays.
2) Mondelez was spotted in 19% of the POS.
3) Kellogg’s was spotted in 13% of the POS.
4) Materne and its Pom’potes brand was spotted in 6% of the POS.
5) Whaou! was spotted in 4% of the POS.
BRANDS FOR CHILDREN, BUT NOT ONLY!
The back-to-school rush is a key moment to reach families and to settle in their consumption habits at the beginning of the school year. It’s also a period of heavy traffic in-store which attracts many other brands and other categories. Among the most visible brands in the central aisle we also spotted:
• Soft drinks: with Coca-Cola which was massively present (but without particular displays) and Orangina-Schweppes.
• Coffee: with Carte Noire, L’Or, Senseo and Nescafé Dolce Gusto.
• Beers: with Desperados and Heineken brands but also Kronenbourg with its new visual identity.
You want to check the right in-store execution of your operations?